Friday 2 February 2018

Handmade Coraline Junk Journal

Assalamu Alaikum!

It's Zainab and for this post I'll be showing you my Coraline journal that I finished yesterday. I based it on the book and the movie as I enjoyed both of them. Masha'Allah, I am happy with the way it turned out!
For those of you who don't know, it is about a girl named Coraline who moves to a new house and discovers a door that leads to another world. The world appears to be a nicer version of her own and she has an Other Mother and Other Father who, at first, seem like nicer parents. However, everyone she meets has black buttons for eyes and she soon discovers there is a much darker side to this world.


So here are some photos of my journal. It has four signatures and each one is a different part of the story.
This is the first page of the first signature. In it the colours are mainly dull because this is how Coraline felt everything was when she first moved into her new home.
 Coraline thinks of herself as an explorer so I imagined her to have this little notebook.
I coffee dyed many of the pages.
This is the beginning of the second signature. It is a lot more colourful because this is how the other world first seems to Coraline.
This junk journal is bound as you would bind a traveller's notebook style journal. So you can slip the pages in and out.
In the movie this is the song her Other Father sings to her.
 The third signature is when Coraline realises the truth about the Other world. Everything grows darker and everyone she meets show their true colours. Her Other Mother is behind it all and controls everyone.
The fourth and final signature has calm colours because the danger is over. In the movie her (real) parents host a garden party.
I pressed some leaves and glued them to the inside cover to represent the woods near Coraline's house.
In total this journal took me about a month to make but I didn't work on it continuously. I hope you liked it. Insha'Allah, we will try to do an animation of this journal to show you every single page.

Wassalam,

Zainab (aged 15)

No comments:

Post a Comment